Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Well said

Over time, it has occurred to me, more and more, how privileged I am to do what I do.  Families trust me to help them with the routine and the difficult.  Kids trust that I won't poof into a scary demon guy who will munch their toes.  Teens trust that I won't judge them for:

  • their drug use
  • their crazy family
  • their promiscuity
  • their bad grades
  • their theory that marijuana is "Mensa medicine"
  • their homosexuality
Last night, Beth and I watched "Glee."  We're singers, so we were most likely to be hooked in, if only for the excellent vocals and  rockin' harmonies.  However, I think the best moment of the show to date came last night.  The background is that 2 characters, one straight (Finn) and one gay (Kurt) were arguing over the somewhat over-decorated style that Kurt had applied to the teens' mutual room.

Finn: Okay, good. Well, the first thing that needs to go is the faggy lamp, and then we need to get rid of this faggy couch blanket.
Kurt’s Dad: HEY! What did you just call him?
Finn: Oh, no, no. I didn’t call him anything. I was just talking about the blanket.
Kurt’s Dad: You use that word, you’re talking about him.
Kurt: Relax, Dad. I didn’t take it that way.
Kurt’s Dad: Yeah, that’s because you’re 16 and you still assume the best in people. You live a few years,  you start seeing the hate in people's hearts, even the best people. (To Finn)You use the N-word?
Finn: O-Of course not.
Kurt’s Dad: How about retard? You call that nice girl in the Cheerios with Kurt, you call her a retard?
Finn: Becky? No, she’s my friend. She has Down syndrome. I’d never call her that. That’s cruel.
Kurt’s Dad: But you think it’s okay to come in my house and say faggy?
Finn: That’s not what I meant.
Kurt’s Dad: I know what you meant! You think I didn’t use that word when I was your age? You know, some kid gets clocked in practice, we tell him to stop being such a fag, shake it off. We meant it exactly the way you meant itthat being gay is wrong.  It's some kind of punishable offense.  I really thought you were different, Finn. You know I thought that being in Glee club and being raised by your mom, meant that you were some new generation of dude who saw things differently. Who just kind of came into the world, knowing what it’s taking me years of struggling to figure out. I guess I was wrong. I’m sorry Finn you can’t stay here. I love your mom, and maybe this is going to cost me her, but my family comes first. I can’t have that kind of poison around.

I've never heard anyone say it so well.  I might be critiqued for using something so "poppy" to make my point, or for posting on homosexuality, period, but I don't care.  If more people stood their ground and didn't stand for the BS that gets flung around on issues like homosexuality, race, religion, and gender, I'd not have to help out so many kids and families that are hurting so badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Villages raise kids - so post a comment and populate this village!